Sunday, October 5, 2014

What's the word? Weekend #48

It's time for What's the Word? Weekend number forty-eight!  :)





So let's take a look at this weekend's news:


The Bad News: 
No bad news that I can think of. :)




The Good News: 
I submitted to the publisher (that I talked about in my last WWW) on Wednesday, October 1st! I'm still waiting to hear back from them, which may take a while, but I'm still excited and hopeful!







In other news:
On Saturday, I took a train (for the first time by myself!) back to my alma mater and trained with my old taekwondo team, who I've missed dearly! It was really fun because they were having sparring class--my favorite! There were A LOT of new people (some freshmen, some older) on the team, and they definitely outnumbered the old people! I'm excited for my old team, and I hope they do well at tournaments! I also hope that my new team and I do well at tournaments! So, yeah...it's a good thing we're not in the same division (although we all still compete together...it's a confusing system), haha! :)


THIS IS A TRUE STORY:
So I was riding the subway back to my dorm on Monday, and some older woman walks up to me and starts talking to me while I'm pulling my money out to buy a ticket. She's kind of speaking softly, but I know that it's not English. It turned out to be Spanish. She literally just handed me a five dollar bill and her metrocard without me saying anything or even really acknowleding her. I wasn't sure if she was giving it to me to keep or what--I was soooo confused at what she wanted me to do with it. But since she didn't walk away, I assumed she wasn't just giving me a free metrocard. Since I had no idea what to do, I just handed them back to her with a confused look on my face. So she took them and was like "aqui, aqui" as she started trying to shove the metrocard into the machine. I felt bad so I decided to help her by telling her to select a language on the touch screen. She picked Spanish, and then tried shoving the metrocard into the machine again, while saying "aqui?" ("aqui" means "here" in Spanish by the way). And I was like no you gotta....and then I just cancelled the transaction because it was clear she had no idea what she was doing. I then went in, and chose English so I could do it (I'm a little rusty on my four years of high school/one year of college Spanish). Once it finally came time to put the card in, I told her and she put it in. Then she started saying "aqui?" while trying to shove her five dollar bill into the machine. I assumed that she was trying to put money on the card, so I figured out how to do it and got her to where she could add money. I then clicked for the card to be removed, and she took it once she came out. She then smiled at me and said "thank you," (so she knew some English I guess) so I smiled back and said "you're welcome" before she walked away.
Now mind you, I literally haven't taken a Spanish class in years, I'm in no way fluent in Spanish, I wasn't talking to anyone (I was minding my own business), and there's nothing about me that screams oh, she must understand Spanish! Additionally, that was only my sixth or seventh time riding the subway, and each time I've just bought a single ride (because I'm not sure if I'll be using enough to get a metrocard, but that's another story), so there were no indication that I knew how to put money on the card any better than she did. That also makes me wonder how in the world she got the metrocard if she didn't even know to click "start" on the touch screen before trying to insert the card and/or money. Anyway, I considered that my good deed of the day, and I was just grateful that she--albiet it weird to shove a metrocard and $5 towards a complete stranger--wasn't some weirdo who was gonna harass me. But I'll be honest, I can't say I want to be ambushed by a nice older lady ever again when I'm down in the subway. I don't know if the lesson here is to not take the subway, or to just buy a metrocard so I don't have to stop and buy a ticket, haha.








Well, that's all for this weekend folks! Until next time! :)


X <3 O
This is my year, this is my time, this is my now.

No comments:

Post a Comment