Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Tuney Tuesday #18: Call Me Maybe (Carly Rae Jepsen)

Hey guys!

It's time for Tuney Tuesday number 18!!!! :D



Here are the rules:
Tuney Tuesdays is a weekly meme that Eileen at  ***Singing and Reading in the Rain***  and I at J.A.Y.A.! host. It's really easy! Just:
  • Once a week, on Tuesday, choose a song that you might be really into that particular week.
  • Include a video/cover art for that single if there is one (or the button for Tuney Tuesdays that I've made up. I'll put it later in the post.) 
  • Include the lyrics
  • Write what you like about it in a review. Or write a few sentences about how it inspires you. Or how it relates to a book that you've been reading.
  • If you don't want to do your own song, you can use one of the songs that Eileen at ***Singing and Reading in the Rain*** or I have done for this week. 


So the song I chose to do this week is Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen. Now, you're probably thinking that this is a strange song to do, since I'm still in my "Inspirational Songs" Playlist on itunes ... but it's more about Carly Rae Jepsen's journey than the actual song. Don't get me wrong: I absolutely love this song because it's so catchy and cute and light and fun ... and I've listened to it over a hundred times already. But it's how this single made the artist essentially become this overnight sensation that I'm gonna try to focus on right now.

For those of you who don't know, Carly Rae Jepsen is one of Justin Bieber's artists, so that's how she essentially got her big break. Justin and his current girlfriend, Selena Gomez, did a fun little video to Call Me Maybe while they were at of their friend's houses. Their friend posted it up on YouTube, and that's how the popularity of the song was born. It comes as no surprise that with teen sensations like Justin Bieber, Selena, Gomez, and Ashley Tisdale essentially promoting your song (and Katy Perry doing her own version of the music video later on), it's going to become a big hit with the younger crowd. I'm pretty sure every student at my college has heard the song at least once, haha!

But what I really like about Carly Rae Jepsen is that, although I don't know her personally at all, she seems like a really down to earth sort of girl who's just doing her thing and doing what she loves even though her song has blown up into this huge thing. I hope that she can put out more awesome, fun, catchy songs in the future, because I think she's awesome. And congrats to her for having her single be #1 on the Itunes top charts a few times (it's been in the top 5 for a while now)!

She's definitely lucky to have the connections she has with Bieber, etc. (and I'm sure it wasn't like she just walked into his office one day and said "make me a star;" she probably worked super hard to even get her foot in the door at the record label) ... but I think at the end of the day all of us that have big dreams can learn from this: for me wanting to be an author, it shows me that it only takes one "yes" to get the ball rolling (and that goes for finding an agent, and finding a publisher to help get my books on shelves); for aspiring singers it only takes one "yes" from a record label and/or takes one hit song to get the ball rolling in your career; similar mentality for actors and actresses too, etc. But in everyday life, it even only takes one "yes" to achieve some "simpler" dreams you may have: like getting into a good college, a good graduate program, getting the job of your dreams, etc.
It's kinda funny that a song like Call Me Maybe can make me feel this way, but yeah ... I don't know ... it just does, haha! :)


By the way, I LOVE the ending to this music video ... I wasn't expecting it at all, haha!!!!! :D



I've also posted Justin Bieber and friends' video below if you want to see that!!! :)



And also, here's Katy Perry and friends' video!!! :D




Lyrics (courtesy of azlyrics.com):

I threw a wish in the well,
Don't ask me, I'll never tell
I looked to you as it fell,
And now you're in my way

I'd trade my soul for a wish,

Pennies and dimes for a kiss
I wasn't looking for this,
But now you're in my way

Your stare was holdin',

Ripped jeans, skin was showin'
Hot night, wind was blowin'
Where you think you're going, baby?

Hey, I just met you,

And this is crazy,
But here's my number,
So call me, maybe?

It's hard to look right,

At you baby,
But here's my number,
So call me, maybe?

Hey, I just met you,

And this is crazy,
But here's my number,
So call me, maybe?

And all the other boys,

Try to chase me,
But here's my number,
So call me, maybe?

You took your time with the call,

I took no time with the fall
You gave me nothing at all,
But still, you're in my way

I beg, and borrow and steal

Have foresight and it's real
I didn't know I would feel it,
But it's in my way

Your stare was holdin',

Ripped jeans, skin was showin'
Hot night, wind was blowin'
Where you think you're going, baby?

Hey, I just met you,

And this is crazy,
But here's my number,
So call me, maybe?

It's hard to look right,

At you baby,
But here's my number,
So call me, maybe?

Hey, I just met you,

And this is crazy,
But here's my number,
So call me, maybe?

And all the other boys,

Try to chase me,
But here's my number,
So call me, maybe?

Before you came into my life

I missed you so bad
I missed you so bad
I missed you so, so bad

Before you came into my life

I missed you so bad
And you should know that
I missed you so, so bad

It's hard to look right,

At you baby,
But here's my number,
So call me, maybe?

Hey, I just met you,

And this is crazy,
But here's my number,
So call me, maybe?

And all the other boys,

Try to chase me,
But here's my number,
So call me, maybe?

Before you came into my life

I missed you so bad
I missed you so bad
I missed you so, so bad

Before you came into my life

I missed you so bad
And you should know that

So call me, maybe? 



So that's all for this Tuney Tuesday folks!!! Until Next Time!!! :D

X <3 O


1 comment:

  1. Hmm I didn't know that about Carly Rae Jepsen, other than the fact that Justin Beiber somehow discovered her. That's pretty inspirational of Carly. :) Maybe I'll be the next success story one day with an inspirational background. :)

    ReplyDelete